OFFICIAL ATHOL TO ORANGE RIVER RAT RACE RULES - 2019
1. Canoes must be of a conventional type open construction design with no coverings from front to rear and in good shape. No sculls, kayaks or Olympic type racing canoes are allowed. Canoes cannot be over 18 feet in length!
2. Front and back of canoe must be higher than the middle. Canoes must be .14375X length, which shall equal the minimum width 4” above the keel at the canoe’s maximum width. Center depth shall not be less than 11½ inches.
3. Life jackets must be worn (as designed) during actual race and practice runs. No Co2 vests or belts allowed.
4. Canoes must have sufficient flotation and safety lines (6-8 feet long). Must be attached to and stored in both bow and stern to aid in recovery.
5. Canoes must be propelled by single blade paddles only, no motorized or battery operated bailing devices allowed.
6. No portages allowed. Contestants must follow natural flow of river.
7. Old numbers from previous River Rat races must be removed or there will be disqualification.
8. The Official Judges reserve the right to make all final decisions in regard to any part of the race.
9. Anyone under 18 years of age must have a parent or guardian to enter as his or her partner.
10. Post position drawings will be held at the Athol Memorial Hall Friday, April 12th at 7:30 p.m. All contestants should be present to receive starting number and final instructions. If you cannot attend, you may pick up your number at the Athol Daily News office, 225 Exchange Street before 11 a.m. Saturday. A signed note is required if you need someone to pick up your number.
11. The race starts at 1:00 p.m. Saturday, April 13 at the east bank of the Millers River just upstream from the South Main Street Bridge in Athol, and finishes 100 yards before the South Main Street Bridge in Orange. The race has a LeMans type start where all canoes go at the same time. Contestants in their canoes line up at the river’s edge according to postposition number. The start is signaled by a single shot fired from a cannon. Assembly time starts at 11:30 a.m. The first 45 canoes out of the river will be jigged and measured. Must have receipt to receive any award.
12. Trophies and cash awards will be presented at the Orange Riverfront Park at 5:00 p.m. following the race. Dual trophies will be awarded to the first three teams to reach the finish line. Trophies will also be awarded to first three aluminum, canvas, all girls, mixed, men’s recreational and women’s recreational teams regardless of what place they finish. Trophies will also be awarded to the first three Local canoes, open to residents living in the nine-town North Quabbin region.
13. The number of entries determines cash awards. Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope if you want confirmation that you are signed up.
14. There will be no refunds.
15. No switching of partners is allowed once positions are drawn or you will be placed at the back of the race.